Thursday, January 7, 2010

Big day

We had a big day here.
Matthew has been scooching, creeping, rolling, doing everything imaginable for months to get where he needs to go. But today, he finally did IT: got up on his hands and knees and made a few tentative forward motions. He crawled.
He wasn't too impressed with his accomplishment, probably because a) I'm assuming he's done it before when I wasn't looking and b) he can get around much faster through his tried-and-true methods. But I laughed and clapped and cheered for him. His feat was particularly impressive because he did it for the first time - or at least I saw him do it for the first time, which in the world of parenting is the same thing - on his nine-month birthday. Which is the exact time that his big brother crawled, too. Hilarious, and so much easier to remember for the baby book.
His big brother had a memorable day too. He had his holiday program at school. It was supposed to be performed a few days before Christmas, but it was postponed by the snow. He was all dressed up in his Christmas outfit, and so excited about his big show.
Christopher strolled into the multipurpose room and immediately looked for us. "Hi, mom and dad!" he yelled. Other kids were crying, fidgeting, looking at the floor. Christopher sang, gestured and jumped. He called out "Hi, Allie! Mrs. Owen, I said hi to Allie!" halfway through the show. (I have no idea who the hell Allie is.) He ran over and hugged his teacher at the end. Then he ran around to Brian and I to hug us. I had to bury my head in his shoulder to hide my tears. I just can't believe how lucky we are.

No comments: